It is currently Thu, 22 February 2018 5:56 am

Mr Bovine's Battleground is dead 
WDL

Post Mr Bovine's Battleground is dead
Long live MBB....

Looks like some hard drive problems that fsck couldn't fix. I'll probably rebuild this server when I have time, but given the lack of traffic, I probably wouldn't be in too much of a hurry.

It'd be more of a lesson in working with Ubuntu that anything else... (SUSe was great and the copy I had was free, but no support)

Mr BO

Sun, 23 August 2009 8:12 am
Profile WWW
WDL

Post Re: Mr Bovine's Battleground is dead
Sorry to hear that but I am sure that fate has had it's hand and the new setup will be awesome.

B

Sun, 23 August 2009 8:31 am
WDL

Unfortunate. MBB is dead, long live MBB!

I like Fedora Core better than Ubuntu or SuSe.

ftp://ftp.uci.edu/mirrors/fedora/linux/ (U.C. Irvine)

I think 9 is better than 10 or 11 but you won't be getting updates in any serious quantity. Maybe that's a good thing. :) If you want the bleeding edge, go with 11.

ftp://ftp.uci.edu/mirrors/fedora/linux/ ... /i386/iso/
Nice fast downloads. They saturate my 16Mbps download bandwidth. Shhh!

P.S. I get the DVD ISO and mount it, install to a Parallels Desktop 4.0 VM on the iMac. I recommend a VM unless you go full boat Linux on a dedicated machine like you had it.

Sun, 23 August 2009 9:42 am
Profile YIM WWW
WDL

My deepest and sincere condolences :cry:

"Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity". :eek:
http://www.tech151.com

Sun, 23 August 2009 10:59 am
Profile YIM WWW
WDL

Well, given that I had SUSe, updates (and support) weren't really a priority with me.

Ubuntu appears to be one disk. Fedora is 6. My guess is that Fedora comes with more stuff. V9 would likely be OK with me.

Any reason for preferring Fedora over Ubuntu?

btw, I'm running an old P3 866mhz processor. It's in the "Recommended" range of Ubuntu. Is this something that Fedora can run on?

Sun, 23 August 2009 11:05 am
Profile WWW
WDL

Oops, forgot to include a link to the Fedora Project page. I always end up googling it because I can never remember their domain name.

http://fedoraproject.org/

Considering the Linux distro base processor is i386 I'd say your P3 is compatible. If you don't want to burn all the CD's do the network install image and let it take what it needs off the net. If the bios supports USB booting I'd put the install boot image on a stick and do it that way. It's only 120MB.

I had FC6 and later, FC8 running on a dual pentium pro 200MHz machine and it was very usable.

Fedora actively support FC10 and 11 and they don't recommend new installs for FC9 and lower but I had problems in the iMac with the VM and FC11. FC10 runs OK.

Parallels lags the Linux power curve more than they lag the Windows power curve since they focus on Windows more. I also like to stay a little behind the power curve these days. My years as a beta sucker wondering why the system crashed are over. I crave stability and reliability with good tools and performance.

What do I not like about Ubuntu? It was a little to slim for my taste, I like my OS big and fat and curvy. :) Lots of toys and options. If she comes with her own toys you know she's serious.

I'm sure FC11 would work just fine for you, my problems are with the VM and it's readiness for the newer FC. If you decide to go with FC11 that's OK too. They actively support it so you won't be lacking there and active updates are nice too. Especially against core vulnerabilities and those (now rare, IMHO) active exploits. Keep in mind FC12 is due for release in November. Lots of new bugs to enjoy there.

I use Chicken of the VNC server on the mac and can run Fedora in the VM graphically without any problems when viewed from my laptop running WinXP in 1024x768 mode, full screen with autopan.

Sun, 23 August 2009 12:51 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Administrator

Sorry for the system death. It is always a pain to rebuild, though at times it forces you to do stuff you intended to anyway, but were putting off. :D

My two cents ...

Fedora 10, as it came out of the box, was crap, plain and simple. Bad RPM command and several other annoyances. I do Linux installs for a living and lost at least a full day to work-around needed to work with Fedora 10.

Fedora 11 seems to be in better shape, overall, but I felt burned by F10, so have not really spent much Quality Time with F11 yet.

Ubuntu has some strange nuances, but I find that I am coming to grips with its lack of an RPM structure. I now have three Ubuntu machines running at home that are used regularly, including my primary "media center" Ubuntu 9.04 MythTV box, which is what we use for a TV / Stereo / Music Jukebox / Video and Picture Archive. (The family runs it using a Microsoft Media Center remote control). I also put Ubuntu on my old Pentium 2 laptop I use for doing email and routine web browsing while watching TV (it helps to have a laptop around when you need something to do besides watching another gazzillionth episode of 'So You Think You Can Dance', my daughter's favorite show). :lol:

I have not recently run the Quake2 stuff on Ubuntu (9.04 or newer), so defer to whoever has the most recent experience with it, but I used to run a q2 server on Ubuntu 8.04 and had no significant problems. I even ran a q2 client on it, both the Linux version and (if you load up "wine") a Windows EXE version. They will actually run fairly reliably (depending on other factors).

Regarding ease of installation, you can get DVD images for Fedora or Ubuntu (as well as SuSE, the "new" Mandriva, etc.). You usually do not have to do the 6 Disk CD Image Set thing. I have about 500 GB of ISO's for this stuff on my work machine ... if you're not in a hurry, I can even land-mail you a disk or three of the distro(s) of your choice.

Another plus for Ubuntu is that updates are timely, automatically checked, and easy to perform. This is not always true for Fedora. No significant system knowledge is required ... if you can type "synaptic" or use the System / Synaptic Package Manager pull-down, you can find new packages, upgrade existing ones, etc. If you do nothing, the system will politely ask you if you want to update, then do all the work for you if you simpy give it your password.

Having said all these wonderful things about Ubuntu, I should say that I do have some love for Fedora. My two primary workhorse machines, which I spent 8+ hours on a day, are Fedora 8 systems, one a dual-CPU box, the other a quad-CPU box. They just keeping working, non-stop, all of the time. Typical uptimes are in the multiple months. I reboot every two or three months "just cuz", but have not had any grief with them at all. But then I never update them either.

Either way you go, there are always pluses and minues. There is no longer one clearly superior Linux solution, in part because nearly all of the top 10 or so distros are generally well behaved ... IMHO. :-)

- P

Mon, 24 August 2009 3:09 pm
Profile YIM
WDL

phlem wrote:
Fedora 10, as it came out of the box, was crap, plain and simple. Bad RPM command and several other annoyances. I do Linux installs for a living and lost at least a full day to work-around needed to work with Fedora 10.

Fedora 11 seems to be in better shape, overall, but I felt burned by F10, so have not really spent much Quality Time with F11 yet.

I thought it was me and my inexperience with it. :)

FC10 "works" on my system but I very much prefer FC8 and it's the one I compile the Linux distros of LOX on. I think the last version (1.12.16) was compiled on FC10 and at least one user said the game felt smoother to him but that's pretty subjective.

At any rate, I am not a big fan of the FC's past 8 right now and look forward to trying FC12.

You have enlightened me about Ubuntu, I guess I need to become one with the Heron again and try some package management.

Mon, 24 August 2009 7:49 pm
Profile YIM WWW
WDL

Thanks for the offer Phlem. I can't use DVD as the box only has a CD player. I've already burned my CDs, but it appears I'll have to go to my spare parts box to get another CD player. Something really put a hurt on this poor system. At least I took the opportunity to blow the wads of dust out of this thing.

Qwazy, you meant Fedora 9?

Tue, 25 August 2009 3:50 am
Profile WWW
Administrator

Well, let me know if I can help. I have a whole box of drives in the shop: hard drives, CD drives, DVD drives, even some ZIP drives and old tape drives (8MM and DAT).

- P

Tue, 25 August 2009 9:42 am
Profile YIM
WOS Member

phlem wrote:
Well, let me know if I can help. I have a whole box of drives in the shop: hard drives, CD drives, DVD drives, even some ZIP drives and old tape drives (8MM and DAT).

- P

too bad i'm not home right now, I have a shopload of stuff in storage...

Tue, 25 August 2009 7:42 pm
Profile YIM WWW