It is currently Wed, 23 August 2017 11:55 pm

Examining options and collecting input for Next Gen WOS web 
Administrator

Post Examining options and collecting input for Next Gen WOS web
I am looking at options to replace our legacy content with something newer, more compact, more simple to interact with via mobile technology. Let me hear your ideas.

Fri, 11 November 2016 1:51 pm
Profile YIM
WOS Member

Post Re: Examining options and collecting input for Next Gen WOS web
We should also probably look into Q2 ports for android (I don't if there are any for iOS) and which one might work best so we have a good reason for having a mobile version of the site. And preferably ones that can access mods.

Mon, 05 December 2016 2:38 am
Profile YIM WWW
WDL

One change I would like to see is the banner on the top of the forum linking back to the main site. Once you're into the forums there is no convenient link back. The obvious choice, the Well of Souls banner, only takes you to the forum.

Tue, 13 December 2016 12:47 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Administrator

Is there any interest in playing an Android variation? Given our current low activity level, I don't know how I feel about it unless we take the tack of creating a new multi-platform game including Android as part of a Unity project.

I think there may be more leverage in looking into the possibility of mod creation for the Quake Champions game supposedly coming out later this year.

Thoughts?

PS - For what it's worthy, I am pursuing coding again, so am up for coding SOMETHING ... just want it to be something that will get played.

Sun, 12 February 2017 7:03 am
Profile YIM
WDL

First we need to define the website's purpose. For example this thread's focus has moved from redesigning a website to porting Q2 to Android. When I ported it to Joomla in 2009 I did not have a direction and we were trying out all kinds of things which made it a monster to maintain.

CMS (Content management system) Do we stick with Joomla?

Integration between the CMS and phpBB, is it really necessary? What are the Security issues with bridging? What are the maintenance issues? CMS\phpBB bridge requires paid support and active subscriptions for updates.

What extra functionality does the site need to support besides CMS and phpBB. Example Calendar, LGSL Game Server Monitor, etc...

Who is going to maintain the updates? Joomla has it real easy now, one button click, but not all extensions are like that and every 2 years there seems to be a major version upgrade that forces a complete redesign. Waiting to see the update from Joomla 3.8 (current version 3.6) to 4.0. I have not worked with phpBB in years and not sure if you still need to edit the individual core files so you wouldn't overwrite your modifications.

Its a lot to think about well before we can even start discussing design and layout.

Note to self: I just noticed I am starting to sound more like a business professional than a gamer, what happened??? :eek:

"Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity". :eek:
http://www.tech151.com

Sun, 26 February 2017 10:36 pm
Profile YIM WWW
WDL

Daffy wanted me to change the IP of his server for the active server list and I couldn't figure out where the data is kept or how to modify it.

I think the other servers are also out of date.

Mon, 27 March 2017 10:45 pm
Profile YIM WWW
WDL

It is located in the Joomla backend under Components -> LGSL

Any server address using DynDNS domain is gone. DynDNS dropped the DDNS service.

Let me know what the server list should be. In the mean time I'm removing my old servers.

Tue, 28 March 2017 5:25 pm
Profile YIM WWW
WDL

lox.clanwos.org and lx2.clanwos.org were subdomains of the clanwos.org site and should have been OK. They use the DNS servers of our hosting company.

Dyn is still hosting dynamic DNS, you have to pay a subscription for it. I'm using the pro version at $40/yr. It expires in Sept. so I am open to a free alternative. The nice thing about Dyn was their updater runs as a Windows service so you don't have to log in a user to get it to run. I've had a couple of resets of the computer running the Dyn updater and it's never failed to start up properly. I get 30 host names with the account and use 1.

Wed, 29 March 2017 7:39 pm
Profile YIM WWW
WDL

In 2015 DynDNS made changes to their service, they didn't inform the pay accounts that they would have to change to the new $40 per year plan. SonicWALLs do not work like the software, they only communicate when they need to update the IP address. Even though it was a paid account which should not have expired, DynDNS deleted the account due to inactivity without any notification.

I use changeip.com for a SonicWALL at a fire department. The free service has been working great since 2015

I use NoIP.com for their paid service. I have a handful of SonicWALLs at a few McDonalds which is part of an energy management system. Everything has been working fine sine 2015.

Wed, 29 March 2017 10:07 pm
Profile YIM WWW