It is currently Thu, 14 December 2017 5:36 pm

Loxophilia Maps 
WDL

Post Loxophilia Maps
In the interest of keeping things "fresh"(1) on the server, I have created a master list of all the maps available on the server and made it the maplist for the rotation control. The number of maps is in the neighborhood of 3100, I don't know what might happen as this list is traversed or if all the files named are actually maps. Some might even have no weapons or might even crash the server. I will keep an eye on the server logs and uptime in order to identify problematic maps and remove them from the list as needed.

If a map is unsatisfactory or just doesn't play well, just use the "vote map next" command to kick the server down the list. Auto-yes is on so if you're the only player on the server it will automatically load the next map.

(1) as fresh as things get on Quake2 these days.

Fri, 07 March 2014 8:10 pm
Profile YIM WWW
WOS Member

Post Re: Loxophilia Maps
QwazyWabbit wrote:
(1) as fresh as things get on Quake2 these days.

Anyone ever looked in the knightmare engine mod? (KMQuake)

Fri, 07 March 2014 9:51 pm
Profile YIM WWW
WDL

I have verified approximately 1655 maps on the server as being "available & correct" up to about massivebedroom. These are all on the Loxophilia server and they are all in common with the Tastyspleen collection on the HTTP server. There are many files in our collection that are not on the TS server but I am not rotating them at the moment since some of them are incomplete or have errors that are fatal.

I have not finished checking the entire list yet past the maps in the "M" range but if you have a map on your system and it doesn't match the map on the server (CRC error, crashing your client) you should consider the server to be authoritative and you can fix your client by the usual exit quake2, delete the map on your system, restart quake2 and reconnect to the server downloading the map.

On the issue of HTTP download vs UDP download:

The current list only selects the maps that are linked to the HTTP server in common with all the TS maps. This means you can use r1q2 or q2e or whatever advanced client you like that supports HTTP downloads. It also means you can select the ordinary clients that support UDP downloads and get the same map only much more slowly.

The problem with HTTP downloading is that if the map exists on the Loxophilia server but not on the HTTP server your client crashes with a fault when it can't download the map via HTTP. It (stupidly) can't fall back to UDP download.

I am working on a master collection of map files that will contain the entire collection of known maps in a single archive. Stay tuned.

Once we've isolated the "bad" maps I'd like to enlist the help of the clan members to go through the maps where we're missing textures and environment files but where someone has them on their system, we can collect them for the affected maps and put them on the server where everyone can benefit.

Mon, 10 March 2014 3:28 am
Profile YIM WWW
WDL

Is there any way for a bug to see where the map rotation is so it doesn't get stuck in download land during our Wednesday fragtimes? I am afraid I don't have near that many maps on the puter! :oops:

Wed, 12 March 2014 7:46 am
WDL

Get the complete map collection, 1GB, I just posted the link in the DeaconsTomb discussion but here it is for reference:

http://www.clanwos.org/pub/q2/maps/allmaps.rar

Extract them to your quake2/baseq2/maps/ folder and your all set. Then all you need to download will be the env and wal files and they go fairly quickly.

As for the where in the rotation the map list is at, the maplist counter is a cvar on the server called "maplist" and you can get the value only via rcon.

Depending on what server browser you use you can see the map name there. I use ASE. You can see the server status on the clan web page.

For tonight, I will probably put it on the March maplist which contains:
biggun
waste1
cxdm6
q2dm1
q2dm3
hub
strike
jail1
tripdm2
base1
q2dm4